Physical Education Teacher
Rivermont Collegiate is a co-educational, independent school offering an exclusively college preparatory program. Its eight and one-half acre campus is located on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River in Bettendorf, Iowa. Founded in 1884, Rivermont is the only Preschool through 12th Grade college preparatory, day and boarding school in the Quad Cities.
Rivermont Collegiate is searching for a full time physical education/health & wellness teacher for the 2018-2019 school year. The ideal candidate will be responsible for planning and instructing students kindergarten through grade twelve. Each full-time faculty member at Rivermont Collegiate is required to teach, serve as an advisor, and perform regular duty in support of the residential program. In addition, faculty members are expected to contribute positively and productively to a campus community that promotes the development of intellect, character and creativity.
Each faculty member reports to the director of faculty and ultimately the Headmaster. Faculty members work in conjunction with the lead teacher in their discipline for teaching-related matters, to the dean of students for disciplinary issues, and to the director of residential life for residential responsibilities. Physical education faculty works closely with the athletic director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create an innovative K-12 physical education program, including all elements of instructional planning, implementation, and assessment.
- Create and execute a health and wellness curriculum to ensure programmatic cohesion and continuity.
- Residential life duty approximately one weekend bi-monthly.
- Attend all faculty meetings, department meetings, and other meetings as required.
- Attend school functions as well as special events.
- Actively participate in all in-service and orientation days.
- Assess student learning using a variety of means and use other forms of academic communication in a timely, professional manner.
- Promote the development of intellect, character, and creativity in all dealings with students, including enforcing school rules and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Professional Qualities of Rivermont Collegiate Faculty & Staff
- Contributes to the delivery of the mission, vision, and values of the school community.
- Follows community policies and procedures and models positive behavior.
- Works effectively as a team member and develops professional and productive relationships with colleagues.
- Understands boundaries and embraces responsibility for the care of students.
- Promotes a trust-based community by keeping appropriate confidences.
- Manages time effectively and meets deadlines and commitments.
- Communicates and responds to all school communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to change as needed.
- Pursue opportunities for professional growth.
Education and Experience
The optimal candidate will have 3+ years of teaching experience, the ability to handle a range of physical education and health courses, and a minimum education of a bachelor’s degree. Experience working as an athletic coach is preferred.
A current driver’s license will be required. A criminal multi-state background check is required and must be successfully completed before employment can begin.
Faculty members must be:
- Able to communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Knowledgeable practitioners of their academic discipline.
- Technologically literate and able to guide and direct students’ use of technology.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this position. As prescribed by law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.