Finance and Operations Manager Job Description
Rivermont Collegiate is a co-educational, independent school offering an exclusively college preparatory program. Its eight and one-half acre campus is located on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River in Bettendorf, Iowa. Founded in 1884, Rivermont is the only Preschool through 12th Grade college preparatory, day and boarding school in the Quad Cities.
Rivermont Collegiate is searching for a full-time Finance and Operations Manager for the 2018-2019 school year. The Finance and Operations Manager oversees and maintains Rivermont Collegiate’s financial systems, as well as coordinates the work of operations which includes maintenance of the campus facilities, technology, security and food services. The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for the annual budget, supervision of accounting staff, long-range forecasting and cash flow. The Finance and Operations Manager oversees the management of the school relative to property and liability issues, as well as human resources, including employee benefit programs and employment contracts. As a member of the school’s senior administration team, the Finance and Operations Manager also attends the Board of Trustee’s finance meetings and occasionally presents to the Board as requested.
The Finance and Operations Manager reports directly to the Headmaster. The Finance and Operations Manager supervises and supports the business office staff and kitchen operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and manage the financial operations so that the institution remains financially stable.
- Supervise the work of the business office staff, using standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures.
- Prepare monthly operating statements for the Headmaster and Board of Trustees.
- Provide a monthly report of expenditures for each budget center within the school.
- Establish a plan and schedule for the preparation of the annual budget early in the calendar year.
- Provide data and secure an annual audit of the school’s financial records and positions.
- Oversee all purchasing, financial investments, banking activities, payroll and benefits programs.
- Provide staff support, in conjunction with the Headmaster, to the Finance Committee and Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Manage risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students while maintaining appropriate levels of insurance to protect property and cover liability.
- Assist the Headmaster with decisions regarding salaries and benefits for all employees, including the evaluation of support staff.
- Represent the school at various regional, state, and national associations relative to the role of Finance and Operations Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Headmaster.
Professional Qualities of Rivermont Collegiate Faculty & Staff
- Contributes to the delivery of the mission, vision, and values of the school community.
- Follows community policies and procedures and models positive behavior.
- Works effectively as a team member and develops professional and productive relationships with colleagues.
- Understands boundaries and embraces responsibility for the care of students.
- Promotes a trust-based community by keeping appropriate confidences.
- Manages time effectively and meets deadlines and commitments.
- Communicates and responds to all school communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to change as needed.
- Pursues opportunities for professional growth.
- Actively engages in community and athletic events.
Education and Experience
The optimal candidate will have a strong financial background (MBA or CPA preferred), with 3+ years of experience.
Other Requirements & Skills
A current driver’s license will be required. A criminal multi-state background check is required and must be successfully completed before employment can begin.
The Finance and Operations Manager must be:
- Able to communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Able to solve difficult problems with positivity and kindness.
- Confident in working as a senior administrative team member.
- Flexible and have a spirit of adventure—no two days are the same at a school.