Board of Officers
- President – Lissa Hinrichs
- Co-President – TBD
- Vice President – Jesse Davis
- Treasurer – Shara Stough
- Secretary – Evelyn Ross
- Monty’s Closet: Tracy Matlock
- Scholastic Book Fair:
- Scrip Gift Cards: Jesse Davis
- Holiday Decorating: Alethea Roach
- Parent Social Chair:
- International Food Festival:
- Fun Run:
- Teacher Breakfasts:
- Grandparents’ Day Reception:
- Pancake Tuesday:
- Graduation Reception:
- Teacher/Staff Luncheon:
Stay connected with Parents’ Council on Facebook.
Welcome from Rivermont Parents’ Council
Rivermont Parents’ Council enhances the Rivermont Experience and includes every Rivermont parent as a member. Our primary goal is to fund programs and activities that directly benefit students and faculty – 100% of Parents’ Council proceeds are returned to Rivermont. Our second goal is to foster community spirit by hosting events that bring the entire Rivermont Community together.
Officers & Chairs
The Parents’ Council Board is comprised of the Officers and the Committee Chairs. These talented volunteers are dedicated to providing educational opportunities and experiences for the Rivermont student. You will find them working many events and organizing activities, bringing together the entire Rivermont Community.
The Officers and Chairs would love to hear from you if you have any suggestions or comments. They are always willing to answer your questions, address concerns, or direct you to the right person.
Parents’ Council Meetings
Current Rivermont families are automatically members of the Rivermont Parents’ Council. All parents and guardians are welcome and encouraged to attend the meetings to learn more about our current projects, make sure your voice is heard, and explore how you can volunteer for large and small jobs.
PC meetings are held monthly throughout the school year. Reminders are posted in the Paw Postings newsletter and sent out via text and email to all families. Families also have the option of attending PC meetings virtually,
If you have topic ideas or questions, please contact Parents’ Council
Do you have just one hour a year to count laps? Do you like to bake? Maybe you like to coordinate events? Whatever your skill set, we can use your help! Whether you have 15 minutes a month or 5 hours a week, we appreciate any help that you can give. Even grandparents often volunteer at the School. There are many opportunities to become involved.
VolunteerSpot also has an App that can send reminder notifications on your cellular phone before each event! If you have a question about volunteering or would like more information, please contact Parents’ Council.
Being a room parent is a great opportunity to stay connected with your child, learn about activities in his or her classroom, get to know classmates and their parents, and be involved in the School.
- Work with the teacher to coordinate events and assist in the classroom as needed
- Primary contact person for the teacher and classroom parents
- Serve as a link between Parents’ Council and classroom parents
Ideas That Have Worked for Other Room Parents
- Coordinate student teacher appreciation in conjunction with Marion Crandall Day, coordinate a year-end gift to the teacher from the parents
- Plan social events for families beyond those held in the classroom – one or two simple gatherings that all classroom families are invited to attend. Examples include a play date or picnic at a park, meeting for a movie, or sledding in the winter. Be creative and keep it simple!
- Start a class page on Facebook where classroom parents can stay connected, share social ideas found in the community, ask for homework clarification, and more.
- Coordinate a “Mom’s Night Out” a few times during the year.
Start a class tradition of gathering students and their families at a local restaurant after certain school events.
- Create a group Shutterfly account where parents can upload pictures of the class in action throughout their years at Rivermont to share with other parents.
Parents’ Council Sponsored Events
Parents’ Council sponsors a variety of events throughout the year that bring the entire Rivermont Community together. Browse the list below for more information on each event. In addition to these events, Parents’ Council also sponsors prom and an annual Middle School social activity.
International Food Festival
The International Food Festival is a unique annual tradition that concludes International Week. This is a great opportunity for families to bring a dish that represents a country of their choice, sample new foods, and foster global awareness in our students. The event traditionally features music, cooking demonstrations, and international games.
To celebrate Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday, parents gather in the morning to make a pancake lunch for students and faculty. Hidden inside each pancake is a surprise trinket that, according to legend, can predict the future. This long-standing Rivermont tradition is beloved by students.
Parents’ Council hosts refreshments for the Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ Day reception and the Commencement reception, as well as faculty breakfast during parent-teacher conferences and an annual Faculty and Staff Appreciation Luncheon.
Parents’ Council plans events to bring parents together and families together to enhance the Rivermont experience.
Parents’ Council strives to focus our efforts on a few key fundraisers with a large impact. This allows us to raise much-needed funds while focusing our energy on events and supporting the School. Browse the list below for more information on each fundraiser.
The annual Fun Run is Parents’ Council’s biggest and most important fundraiser of the year. Funds raised are used throughout the next academic year for a variety of purposes, which over the past few years have included:
- Funding for CPR certification for faculty and Upper School students
- Online learning resources for classrooms
- Visiting artists for assemblies
- Equipment for PE classes
- Music purchases for the MS/US band
- Books for classroom libraries
- Equipment for LS music classes
- Classroom supplies
- Holiday Open House refreshments
- Athletic Department funding for team sports
- Materials for 3rd – 5th grade after-school drama club
- Live Auction contribution for the Gala
- Fun Run awards, spirit gifts, and pizza parties
- Rental of a dunk tank for the Spring Family Festival
- Refreshments and crafts for Grandparents and Special Friends Day
- Headmaster Holiday treats
- ES and LS Promotion refreshments
- Graduation Reception
- End-of-year faculty and staff appreciation luncheon
- Funding for an outdoor Gaga Pit
This is an extensive, but by no means complete, list of items that Parents’ Council funds throughout the year.
Scrip Gift Cards
Purchasing gift cards from your favorite retailers and restaurants through the Scrip Gift Card program is a fantastic way to support the school without spending any extra money.
Go to RaiseRight.com/enroll, enter Enrollment Code 363FA67B6L16 in the box, then click “Join a Program” and follow the prompts.
Earn money for the School simply by purchasing gift cards. With 750+ brands to choose from, including McDonald’s, Amazon, Panera Bread, and The Home Depot, there is a brand for every household need or wish list. You can order eGift cards and physical gift cards. Plus, you can reload funds digitally onto existing physical gift cards. Every gift card purchase means instant earnings for Rivermont. Gift cards from RaiseRight have no activation fees, and they never expire.
Use your physical gift cards in-store or online, or access your eGift cards right from your online account. Stored in your Wallet, you can easily view, use, and organize to quickly find the ones you use most. The mobile app makes it easy to access and use your eGift cards anytime, anywhere.
When you purchase gift cards from stores like Walgreens, Kwik Star, and Amazon, the store gets a percentage of the sale. why not give that percentage to Rivermont Parents’ Council instead? Funds can be used towards school trips and other items that benefit your student’s learning!
Monty’s Closet is Rivermont’s spirit store. Families can purchase items, including IMP and TIGER gear, a few times a year via the online store. A notice which includes a ship date and a link is sent out to the Rivermont community when Monty’s Close opens. The online store is open for a specified time, and all items are shipped directly to the purchasers’ homes. Some items are also available for purchase throughout the year in Monty’s Closet in Becherer Hall.
Scholastic Book Fair
The week-long Scholastic Book Fair is held during parent-teacher conferences in the fall. Shop a large selection of books while benefiting Rivermont! Families also have the opportunity to purchase books to donate directly to their child’s classroom library. All proceeds from the fair are taken as book credit and used to purchase books for the School, which doubles our profit.