Add some zip to your college admissions picture!
Architecture? Research? Biology? Art? Writing? Leadership? Kayaking? Music? Turn summer fun into a great addition to your high school résumé by attending an interesting, challenging summer program. Summer programs vary in length from one week to a month or more and are offered in science, math, foreign language, writing, drama, and more. Information on summer program opportunities is already beginning to arrive. Some programs are at local colleges/universities while others are in nearby communities or out of state.
Summer materials are displayed in the Mansion Reading Room and on a large bulletin board outside the Honors Commons as they are received. Only single copies are available; if you are interested, please ask to have the materials copied for you. Also please note that most have online registration and complete descriptions of the programs including dates and which grade levels may apply.
2016 Summer at Rivermont Catalog!
What's your pleasure? Select from a wide variety of summer classes including: Dr. Seuss, Space is the Place, Bugs, Iowa Adventures, Superheros, Rivermont Masterchef Junior, Video Creation and much more.
Don't delay, FREE t-shirts for campers who register by April 1st.
Download the catalog from the Rivermont website or by clicking this link.
Here are a few of the other summer programs that may be of interest:
Registration is open for Augustana's Summer Academy June 19-24! Please encourage your students to check it out. These residential classes, designed for high school students coming out of their freshmen, sophomore or junior year, give students an introduction to a career while also showcasing life on a college campus. Classes include Neuroscience, Cadaver Dissection, CSI: Forensics, Harry Potter, Art, Creative Writing and more. Click here for a full list with descriptions:
Very limited grants are available for students who qualify on a first-come basis.
Belin-Blank Summer Opportunities
Students are nominated by their school for this program. The Blank Summer Institute for the Arts & Sciences is a one-week residential summer program for 120 of Iowa’s gifted students who are currently in grades 7 & 8. The Institute provides exceptionally talented students with an intensive and advanced educational experience designed to enhance their intellectual and social growth.
Students who are currently in grades 6-8 may nominate themselves for the Junior Scholars Institute (JSI), a one-week residential summer academic program. Students take a single advanced level course for the entire week.
The Secondary Student Training Program (SSTP) offers students unique experiences, both academically and socially. Participants conduct research under the guidance of a faculty mentor—spending approximately 40 hours a week working in research programs on the University of Iowa campus.
- University of Chicago Summer Session 2016 to register for classes that meet throughout the summer. The Research in the Biological Sciences is popular with Rivermont students.
- Wharton Leadership in the Business World at the University of Pennsylvania Summer Program for rising seniors or Wharton Sports.
- Business Academy for rsing juniors and seniors or Management and Technology for rising juniors and seniors.
- Hollins University For Rising 9th -12th Girls: Hollins University Hollins Theatre: Caught in the Act for rising 9th-12th Girls/ Taking Joy in the Art of Creative Writing/ Riders Who are going places (advanced riders)
- University of Iowa Summer Journalism Workshops for High School Students. Included are sessions on photography, desktop publishing, Web site design and newspaper and yearbook design.
- Northwestern University Center for Talent Development Summer Program at Evanston, IL has offerings for all ages. Take a look at the extensive offerings.
- Washington University in St. Louis offers a High School Summer Scholars Program for rising juniors and seniors offer college credit in science, foreign language, arts, social sciences, and the humanities. Or non-credit three week programs include: Writing Institute, Pre-Medical Institute, and Photojournalism Institute.
- Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL has many programs including art, exploring Harry Potter, Web Design and especially Girls Plus Math (Ages 11-13).
- The George Washington Pre-College Areas of Study: Arts, Business, Engineering, English, Government, History, Math, Medicine 3 week and 6 week sessions.
- Wartburg College and the High School Leadership Institute (HSLI) summer program for juniors who are interested in expanding leadership skills and service experiences. Contact: 319-352-8446 or email@example.com Harvard Summer School Secondary School Program promises a “taste of college, a taste of Harvard.”